Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Christmas Eve 2013...

First of all, where do you even start with a blog post like this? How do you come up with a title that gives what I am about to type justice or even explanation? Here it goes.

On Christmas Eve this year, my mother-in-law, my baby boy's Gamma, and (one of) my husband's mother passed away, unexpectedly. Even though it has been two weeks now it still feels very surreal to see it in writing or to say it out loud, she is gone. None of it truly feels real quite yet, I keep expecting to see her smiling face pop out of a room or call me on my cell.

A few days before Christmas Eve, Kathy started to feel sick. The flu was going around Odessa, so as she usually did, she decided to try to sleep it off. After only one full day sick and in bed she passed away. I fully expected that morning for her to be back to her happy, Christmas loving self. To say that we were shocked and stunned and whatever word could possibly describe a shock like we felt would be an understatement. Our entire community was shocked.

We had the funeral and burial services for Kathy on Friday, January 3rd. We believe there were over 400 people in attendance at the funeral and have no idea how many attended the reception. She was such a HUGE part of our town, of our friends lives and of our family's lives that we didn't even have enough chairs to seat everyone. Kathy blessed the lives of so many people.

I cannot even get into more all that I want to say about Kathy as I find myself choking up and overwhelmed by what to write. Not because of lack of material but because of too much. How do you describe losing someone who touched your life in such a unique and special way?

I suppose this post ended up being more of an informational, rip the bandaid off, type of post. I will be back to post about our move, baby update and settling in to Odessa as soon as I can. I will say for now we made it safe (obviously) on December 10th and the baby is doing great! Our 33 week check up is actually tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers for our family during this heart wrenching time, we appreciate it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment