Even though I am about 99% sure all you who actually read this blog probably know already, but...
I've been waiting to officially announce anything until we actually heard the heart beat!
Today, we went it for our first official doctors appointment and had the first ultra sound. It was great. We are due February 26th, the baby measured a little big and the computer calculated a February 24th date, but our midwife (yes...midwife, I'll get to that later!) is sticking with the February 26th date..as if it matters, babies do not care about your little pretend due date. I'm just glad it isn't a leap year!
So far this pregnancy has kind of knocked me on my ass. I was not expecting this type of symptoms, as my last pregnancy was mostly a breeze. I have been so sick, so tired, and just so BLA. I threw up more than I ever did the first pregnancy within the first couple weeks. Luckily, I have been able to hold off the vomiting with mind over matter as I know that what is making me feel sick isn't what is in my stomach it's just my hormones. I also started taking my prenatal vitamins at night, which has helped tremendously. My midwife told me today that I could try taking two children's vitamins instead of the prenatal vitamins, as I would get the same amount of vitamins needed, but they are a lot less harsh. I will be trying that. She also gave me a prescription for anti-nausea, so I am extremely excited to see if that gives me some relief. I've been so fatigued too which I never had as bad with Gavin. I have no energy to do anything. Somedays it is literally a battle to get off the couch. I have hated feelings this way, I feel like such a blob. I am very anxious for the second trimester to get here. Also, this baby better be a girl because I'm not sure if I want to sign up for this again, hahahaha!
So, back to the midwife comment, generally I would lean more towards a medical doctor for a majority of my personal health needs, it's a personal choice...That being said, with our last doctor, I was really disappointed with all of the pushiness for unnecessary tests, scaring you with "do not do this, do not do that's," and then leaning more towards medical intervention (i.e., pushing you towards c-sections, etc.) So I was thinking about alternatives, and then realized that it can actually be difficult to find a doctor who is willing to let you do a VBAC which is a natural delivery, after a cesarean. I am determined to deliver naturally, without a c-section this time, if I am able. Obviously if we have another breech baby I do not have a choice, but I do not want to be told I have to have a c-section just because a doctor deems it easier. SO....I was thinking a midwife might be our best bet. I was thrilled to learn that the Naval Hospital here has midwifery in the OB-Gyn department and was going to ask about that option. Well, I went in to start my process of getting into the OB-GYN department (stupid military hospitals and their processes) and I was seen by a Navy medical doctor. He told me that he would want me to try a VBAC and that the Naval Hospital in general was very supportive, if not, encouraging about it. I was very happy with this information. He told me that even though he was a family medicine doctor I could still continue to see him, however it all depended on the referral process with insurance, bla bla bla. Well, after I had my in-take appointment, they just assigned me to a midwife. So long story short, that is how we ended up with a midwife...I actually really liked her, and didn't get the "hippy" vibe that I was expecting. She seems like the perfect mix of natural and western medicine that I like. I very pleased so far!
Gavin has been practicing the word "baby" and says it like a champ! When I ask him where the baby is? he points at my belly. He obviously has no idea what any of it means, it is just his newest circus trick, but hopefully he will start to get it! When we ask him if he wants a baby brother or sister he just says yes and nods. Haha, too cute!

No comments:
Post a Comment