Monday, October 17, 2011

No More Excuses!

Well, I have run out of excuses to post pictures because I have started getting strangers asking when I am due, etc...Ryan thinks it would be really funny to look at them and say, "What do you mean? I'm not pregnant..." haha. Well, here a couple updated pictures:

 Feeling like a manatee, no big deal...

 How many weeks do I have left?!
 Laying down (getting up is betting much harder by the day...)

The view from up-top.

On a random note, I saw this list online and I thought it was funny so I thought I would share it with all of you! It is the top things that you shouldn't say to a pregnant woman.  I have had a couple of these happen to be and it is super awkward! Especially when people I hardly know come up and touch my stomach...uh, no thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy!
1.       “I feel pregnant, too!”
Unless you are actually carrying a child in your uterus as well, then no, you do not feel pregnant.
2.       “You’re Huge!’
Maybe she is looking a little large but she does not need to hear it. Would it be appropriate to comment on someone’s weight if they were not expecting? No! Same common sense rules apply to pregnant women, too.
3.       “You really shouldn’t…”
Exercise. Pick up that box. Stand up. Pregnant women are not ill, they are merely with child and making them feel like they have a serious condition only alienates them.
4.       “I don’t think you should…”
Get an epidural. Have a natural birth. Have your mother in the birthing room. A pregnant mama’s personal birth plan is just that: personal. If she wants your opinion, she’ll ask.
5.       “Enjoy your last few months of freedom.”
Having a baby is exciting and the last thing any expectant mom wants to hear is that she just issued her personal life a death sentence. Negative comments about child rearing shouldn’t be spoken of. Plus, being pregnant doesn’t really feel like freedom so it is a mute point...
6.       “You probably shouldn’t eat that.”
Pregnant women are pretty tuned in to what they can and can’t eat. – as well as what they want and don’t want to eat. If she is going for it, then by all means, let her enjoy.
7.       “Your baby is going to be be Huge/Tiny!”
What’s on the mind of nearly every pregnant woman? How baby is getting out. Doctors looking at ultrasounds are the only ones ever allowed to estimate how big the baby is going to be – and even then, anything less or more than normal is bound to set off a mommy-to-be.
8.       “What if your baby…”
 Is a hermaphrodite? Has a cleft lip? Is deaf? Mamas-to-be spend a great deal of downtime thinking their own “what ifs” and they don’t need anything else adding fuel to the fire.
 9.       “You look tired.”
Carrying a baby for nine months is hard work. Chances are if she looks tired, SHE IS. However, the last thing she needs is anything reminding her how exhausted she feels or looks. Nothing short of, “You look fantastic,” should be said to a pregnant woman about her appearance.
10.   “Haven’t you had that baby yet?”
If that woman’s pregnancy seems long to you I can almost guarantee that it feels like about 30 years to her. Pregnant woman who are asked this question should be legally exempt from murder convictions.
11.   ”I hate that name.”
 Really? Oh okay, then they won’t name it that. Nobody cares that a girl named Angela took your oatmeal raisin cookie in grade two so don’t lift up the tarp covering your mental baggage. On a similar note, if they want to name their kid Adolph or Kleenex just nod and say “nice” – that will be the least of that kid’s problems anyway.
12.   “Can I rub your belly?
At least you asked. Did you know that most people don’t? Unless you are a relative or close friend, think about how awkward if someone came up and started touching your belly…it’s a little, no, a lot, awkward! So don’t be surprised if she tells you “no,” blocks your hand or takes a step backward.
13.   “Have you picked a name yet?”
It seems harmless, but trust us, she doesn’t want to answer this question and subject herself (and her partner) to your opinions. It’s hard enough agreeing on a baby name as a couple and input from strangers (and even family) just makes the process more difficult.


(So I have had to change this post probably 5 times because I keep finding errors...I swear it looks like English is my second language...)

No comments:

Post a Comment