Good morning, all!
Today isn't really a family update, but something that I think is really important.
Here in Washington State we have a Whooping Cough epidemic. There are 3,000 more cases than we had last year, and it's not even cold season yet! Anyone can get Whooping Cough, but it especially effects children, and is especially dangerous for babies, like our wittle Gavin. It is spread to babies mostly by adults, as easy as by breathing on or near them. It effects the respitory system, and with babies you can understand why that would be so dangerous. It is a disease that can cause pneumonia, seizures, brain damage and even death. It is pretty scary stuff!
So why am I writing this you say? Well, I am highly recommending everyone who hasn't been vaccinated to go and get the vaccine, for Gavin's sake, and for the sake of any other little ones you may be around. Many adults don't think about getting vaccines anymore, but it really can save the life of the little ones around you. Babies have to get the shot in several doses, and Gavin has had three of the six? doses; I was given the vaccine the day I delivered him.
I am usually not one to ask people to do something like this, as everyones health choices are their own, (I obviously won't look down on you if you don't!) but I can't stand to imagine Gavin catching this! It especially makes me nervous having the best hospitals over 75 miles away. Everyone has their own opinion on vaccines, but in this case, I am all about preventing a very serious disease that could be easily spread to my defenseless baby!
Here is a link to the Washington State Department of Health which can provide more information on Whooping Cough and where you can get the vaccine to prevent it (pretty sure most doctors offices have the vaccine available).
There you have it. If you are able, please, please get your vaccine, if not, at least you are a little more educated on Whooping Cough! Thank you in advance :)
No comments:
Post a Comment