Saturday, January 7, 2012

Almost there....

We had our last check-up at the doctor today, well, until my incision check-up in three weeks! It felt really good to leave that place, knowing I wouldn't be back in a long time! It was a good way to end things there though, they didn't mess up our appointment, it was relatively on time, and we got out of there in less than thirty minutes! Though it wasn't the miracle we were looking for, it was something! The baby is still breech, literally the opposite of what he should be, his head is up by my ribs and his toes are down in my pelvis - he is completely stretched out. The doctor said that they will double check one last time right before the c-section on Wednesday just to be sure that he is still breech. She said that I will be in the hospital anywhere from 3-4 days (which was a shocker to me, I didn't think it would be that long!). I'm sure I will be very ready to come home, but it will be nice to have the medical help to recover for those first couple of days, specifically the pain medicine at hand :)

I am coming to terms with the whole ordeal, not thrilled, but coping much better, I don't feel like it's the end of the world anymore. :) I am nervous about getting a spinal, mostly because in 2008 I got a shot in my lower back with pain medicine for a migraine and they hit a nerve causing a little bit of damage (obviously extremely minor, just a little pain and numbness that has been fading); the thought of something going into my spinal cord scares the crap out of me because of that negative experience. Also, I just hate needles. So there is that, but I think the thing that bothers me the most is the overall experience is going to be different than what I was anticipating. The excitement has been... changed, (I want to say taken away but that isn't exactly what I mean...) there isn't the rush of going into labor, rushing into the hospital and waiting anxiously for the delivery time. The surprise is gone, and I feel like I am mourning that.

Although, this conversation has been pretty humoring to have: Stranger: "When are you due?" Me: "January 11th at 12:00PM." Stranger: Awkward, puzzled look...hahaha. Also, that reminds me of something funny that happened today...Ryan and I decided we are going to get the baby circumcized and that we want it done at the hospital before we leave, but the pediatrician that we are going to go to doesn't do services at the hospital that I will be delivering at. So we were given a referral to a pediatritian that works with the Tri-City Hospital and this is how my phone call went with them today:

Me: Hello, I am calling to see if I can schedule a circumcision with Dr. So & So, I am scheduled for a C-Section at Tri-City Hospital on January 11th, my doctor gave me your number, saying that your the doctor will come to the hospital to perform that, can I go ahead and schedule that now?
Receptionist, Mario: Yeah, I can go ahead and do that for you, what is the date of birth?
Me: Well...I am having a c-section on the 11th, so...
Mario: Ok, no problem, but I am going to need the date of birth.
Me: Umm...well, my surgery is on the 11th.
Mario: Before I can schedule the appointment, I am going to need the baby's Date of Birth.
Me: He isn't born yet??? Because we are having a C-Section on the 11th...??????
Mario: Oh, right...yeah, we can't schedule that until we have a date of birth.

I felt dumber for even being on the phone with that guy for those thirty seconds...

This was my first week home on maternity leave, and I thought it would drag and I would be bored out of my mind. I couldn't have been more wrong. It was amazing. Don't get me wrong, I had a couple moments where I thought I couldn't stand to lay on the couch any longer, but I persevered. The week went by really fast! I am coming to the realization that this is mine and Ryan's last weekend together, just the two of us, and in just a few days it will never be just us, ever again. That is weird. I am both SO excited and so not ready at the same time. But, ready or not, we have just 4 days (or less if I randomly go into labor before hand!).

I will try to post an update on this blog as soon as I can, including pictures, but mostly the first week will probably be via texting/phone/e-mail and facebook (just because I can do all of that from my phone). It is the easiest for me to put pictures up on facebook, and I will try to put a link to the album I create on here, so that for those of you who are not on facebook can still look at the photos. Also, just as a side note, I do plan on keeping up with this blog after the baby is born! And if the amount of pictures that I take of our cat is any indication of how many I will take of Gavin, you guys are in for a treat :)

 This is what January apparently looks like in San Diego County....
39 Weeks, big ol' basketball which makes it very difficult to bend over and get out of bed and off the couch.

2 comments:

  1. Exciting! You're gonna be mom in less than a week! And trust me, those extra hours in the hospital will be much needed! I was so nervous to take Hunter home - I didn't want to leave and when we did, we drove like 10 miles an hour... :) Good Luck! Everything is going to work out fine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to get a look at our new great nephew!!! Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete