Out little man was born, January 11th, 2012 at 12:37pm at Tri-City Medical Center in Oceanside, California. Mine and Ryan's lives are forever changed, and our little baby is absolutely perfect. He weighed 7.92 pounds at birth and was 18.5 inches long. He is a beautiful baby, all the doctors and nurses commented on how beautiful he was, even saying he was the cutest c-section baby they had ever seen (I don't care if they say that to everyone), and I have to agree.
While everything is still fresh in my memory and I am not TOO sleep deprived here is Gavin's birth story:
Ryan and I checked into the hospital at 10:00am, where they did one last ultra sound to make sure he was still breech. Our nurse got my IV started and hooked me up to the fetal monitors and started to explain how the rest of the day was going to go. Around 11:30am the anesthesiologist came in to walk me through the spinal and the overall operation. She explained how everything would go step by step. Around 12:00pm, the nurse said that everything was ready to go and had me get up to start walking to the operating room. Ryan had to wait in the recovery room until I was prepped for surgery, so he wasn't able to be there when I got the spinal :( So we parted ways in hall, I into the operating room and Ryan into the recovery room (right across the hallway). The operating room was freezing, and I was also so nervous that I was shaking from head to toe. They put some heated blankets across my lap and got started on the spinal. I was so nervous, and had it built up so much in my head that when it came down to it, it wasn't bad at all. I had my nurse holding on to me in front of me and I hardly even felt the first shot with numbing medication. I told the anesthesiologist not to tell me what she was doing because it would probably make me throw up. So she just said that I would feel a pinch and pressure and she was just about right. Once the spinal started working, a catheter was hooked up and the doctors came in. The screen was raised up and my arms were strapped down (apparently some people try and move them and grab their baby during the surgery...So I was feeling pretty claustrophobic at this point. I couldn't feel or move my legs, and I could tell that they had started the surgery. Finally, they let Ryan come in and it was so comforting to see his face. He came up and sat by my head, and his facial expression will be forever ingrained in my memory. He was SO nervous and excited. I felt a little tugging and pulling and then I heard gurgling. The doctors said something along the lines of "oh we have a gurgler" I heard some suction and then the most beautiful sound in the world, Gavin's wail. He let out two little wails and then they held him over the curtain for me to see him. Even just recalling this moment right now, makes me well up, because he was/is perfect! The emotions that I had at that moment were so overwhelming, it was the greatest feeling in the world. I have never felt so much love and happiness at the same time, it's something you can't explain or really understand until you have been there. Ryan and I were both in tears at how perfect he was, and they let Ryan go over and trim the umbilical cord and be with Gavin while they were cleaning him up, etc. Meanwhile, I was getting stitched up, etc. I started to have a few reactions to the medicine, like the feeling of weight on my chest and like I couldn't breathe. I also started to freak out a little bit at the fact that I couldn't move my legs, and just at the overall thought that my guts were hanging out and they were literally sewing me together. The doctor noticed that I was starting to hyperventilate a little bit and calmed me down. They had also put a large dose of morphine into my IV, so I started to feel very sleepy, and I almost fell asleep while they were finishing.
The nurses moved me into the recovery room for monitoring, where I would be put into my room once I could wiggle my toes. They brought the baby in to me so I could hold him and so that we could try breastfeeding. Holding him for the first time was surreal. I just couldn't believe that he was our baby, and how perfect he was!
Well, I will finish this later, I am getting so tired I am seeing two different computer screens! Here are a few pictures to hold you over until I can get some more up!




It's so surreal to hold your baby finally after a long 9 months! Its hard for me to wrap my mind around "growing" them in my tummie and having them come out like people! I absolutely love reading your blog! : )
ReplyDeleteI know!! The moment I saw him during the surgery, was almost too much, it was so crazy that he was just this moving little creature inside me and then all of a sudden a baby! p.S I love reading yours too!!!!
ReplyDelete