I cannot believe that we have had Gavin at home with us for almost two weeks now! The time is already flying by, it is crazy that he will be three weeks old in four days.
As I mentioned in the previous post, Gavin was born with his right foot turned in; we took him to Rady Children's hospital in San Deigo on Tuesday to have a specialist look at it. They confirmed it was club foot and walked us through the steps to fix it. Gavin will get a cast put on his leg that will straighten and stretch the ligaments. We will take him to Children's once a week to get a new cast put on for six weeks. At the end of the six weeks, depending on the flexibility of his foot, mainly his achilles tendon, they may have to do a minor operation to stretch it out. If they do have to do the operation, he will be back in the casts for a few more weeks. After the casts (surgery or not) he will have to wear a foot brace that pulls the foot out until he is able to pull himself up. We are hoping that all of this will be done a couple of months.
On Tuesday we got the first cast put on, and Gavin did really great. Me on the other hand, not so much. I was a wreck about it. I went to the appointment knowing that we were going to have the cast put on, but I had envisioned a cast that just covered his foot. His cast literally covers his entire leg. I broke down when they showed me the picture of what it was going to look like. I was not prepared for that in the slightest. I also didn't think he would be in the casts for that long and then have to be in a brace on top of that. It was extremely overwhelming. On top of that my hormones are still going a little crazy. The nurse and doctors were all great, and even warned me before hand that I would probably cry and that it is completely normal, especially for someone who just had a baby. Our doctor had just had a baby five months ago, so she completely understood and even teared up herself a little bit after seeing me cry, haha. The casts do not hurt him, they are only a little uncomfortable for the first day and then he gets used to it. He slept the entire time they were putting this first cast on which was great, I don't think I could have handled it if he were screaming. The doctors warned us that he might be pretty fussy for the first couple days as he adjusts to having the cast on. They were right. The first night was epic...not only was Gavin upset, but so were Ryan and I. It was a very emotional, long day for all of us and we were all a little on edge. Ryan had to go back to work the next morning, so I stayed up with the baby all night and hardly got any sleep. He wasn't too bad, but he was extremely needy. He didn't want to be set down, had to be held in a certain way, and instead of his little cry when he needed a diaper change or was hungry, it was this ear throbbing scream. The timing of his crankiness and Ryan going back to work wasn't a good combination for me. I was exhausted, so exhausted that even when I had the opportunity I couldn't sleep.
BUT, Gavin is doing so much better now, he is getting used to the cast, and this mommy has gotten some sleep! Woohoo! It was looking like doomsday there for a few days but now that I am rested up, things are looking much better :) We are still getting used to a new routine, as Ryan has gone back to work, but for the most part that is going well. Gavin is still sleeping anywhere from three to four plus hours, which is awesome. Last night, I only had to get up twice! He really only fusses when he is either: hungry, needs a diaper change or has gas. Other than that he just likes to cuddle and be held. He has been awake a little more and more each day. He likes to study mine and Ryan's face, which is so cute because he just gives us the stare down. He makes the funniest faces that make me laugh every time! He is such an animated little boy. This morning we were napping on our bed and it was me on one half, Gavin on the top quarter and Miss Kitty on the lower quarter. It was napping at it's best.
No comments:
Post a Comment