Monday, January 16, 2012

Birth Story Continued...

Alright, so I have gotten a little more sleep, and the cord to hook my camera to my computer so I promise a finished birth story and more photos!

When Ryan and Gavin came back to meet me from being in the nursery, the three of us got to be together, alone for the first time. I'm pretty sure Ryan and I just stared at our baby and cried for at least 5-10 min. He is so perfect. Watching Ryan with Gavin is the most amazing thing, the way he talks to him and comforts him just melts my heart. Basically, I'm just a weepy mess, I am sitting here as I type this, crying just thinking about it.

Ryan pointed out that Gavin's right foot is turned in a little bit, and that doctor wanted to have a Physical Therapist come down and look at it. The pediatrician, Dr. Aslund, who was on call came in and checked Gavin to make sure everything was looking alright, and she ordered an x-ray of his foot, just to be sure. She said it might be club foot, and that if there were issues with his bones, that would be the only way to diagnose it. The Physical Therapist came in afterwards and took a look at it, and she believes it to be just positional, which basically means that the way he was in the womb cramped his muscles in that position. She believes it can be fixed with braces/casts and stretching. Dr. Aslund reported that there was nothing wrong with the bones, but decided it was club foot and is going to refer us to San Diego Children's Hospital, so that we can see an Orthopedic Doctor. The pediatrician and physical therapist had differing opinions on whether or not it was club foot, and how to treat it, so we are basically just holding out until we go to Children's to see what is actually wrong and how to fix it. They both agreed however, that it is an easy fix and will not cause any problems with his mobility.

We told the pediatrician that we would like to have the baby circumcised while we were in the hospital, and she made an appointment to do it the next day (Thursday). Basically from this part out is kind of a blurry/groggy haze, we had nurses and doctors coming in like crazy, it was very overwhelming. I had two nurses that would check on me regularly, and was on heavy doses of pain medicine. The pain medications kept me pretty comfortable, though I was definitely hurting a bit. The second day, my recovery wise, was torture. I was in so much pain and the medicine was hardly taking the edge off. I could not find a comfortable position in that hospital bed. I wanted to be sitting up so I could hold the baby, and be able to see what was going on around the room, but that was the most uncomfortable position. The c-section cut my core muscles so moving around in bed was extremely painful and sometimes impossible. They had me get up and walk around the room on Wednesday night, and the pain I felt when doing that made me double over. Walking to edge of the room and back a couple of times was like running a marathon. I was exhausted. Getting back into the bed after that was a nightmare. But, it did feel good to be on my feet and let the blood start circulating better, so that was a plus. After they took the catheter out and I had to get up to use the restroom, by the time I would get back in bed I would be sobbing the pain was so high. The worst part was it just felt like my incision was being ripped open (though it clearly wasn't).

Ryan went with the baby for his circumcision, I think it was rougher on him than it was on Gavin. There was no way I could go and watch, so I am glad he had Ryan there to hold his hand and comfort him. They said he did good, clearly didn't like it, but who would! He was really fussy and in a little bit of pain that night, which was heart breaking for Ryan and I :(

We were given the go ahead to come home on Saturday and the option to stay until Sunday if we wanted to. We were all ready to be out of the hospital, so on Saturday morning we started getting all of our stuff packed up! (Ryan has pictures of us leaving the hospital, I'll have to get those from him and put them up, we all wore our Seahawks gear!).

Being home has been blissful. We are not being constantly bothered with doctors and nurses and we are able to settle into our own routine. Ryan and I have been tackling it like champs, giving each other breaks to sleep, and so far everything has been working out great! Ryan has been so amazing, he has been helping me get around, bringing me things so I don't have to get up, and just overall comforting. He is also soo good with the baby, I love watching them together. Basically, I feel so content right now, life is good!

Now, here are some pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment